Two becomes One

As the weather wasn’t best for beekeeping the last weekend I was very happy that I had got ahead of my schedule with inspections during any weekday evening that was sunny and warm!

Hive with 2 supers ready to be removed

On Saturday I did remove 2 supers from the Poly hive in the upper apiary and staggered down the field to my car with them!

One of them weighed in at just under 12 kgs in the other one just over 13 kgs!

Unfortunately I had assumed that both were ready for extraction after only checking the upper super (which was added after the lower one)! When I got to my extraction room I found that the lower supper was unfortunately not quite ready and so I ended up carrying that one back up the field and placing back on the hive later!

Frame of partially capped honey before uncapping for extraction

The one that was ready for extraction weighed 13.15 kgs before extraction and 3.85 kgs after! This is a Poly box including the frames and empty comb. So that makes a difference of 9.30 kgs. The actual amount of Honey that was extracted and stored after filtering in the bucket was 8.60 kgs.

Closeup of the comb after extraction

Just another note that the SN1 frames (shallow super) were spaced with normal plastic spacers with 10 in the super. One end frame only contained a little nectar and I didn’t bother extracting it.

The difference of 0.7 kgs is down to the wax cappings mainly and the very small amount of honey that is lost during the extraction process either left in the extractor or in the sieves / strainers.

Now I normally wouldn’t bother with the setting up of the extraction room and cleaning down afterwards just to extract one super but I had originally planned on two.

Hive with the super replaced that was not ready for extraction

There are a few more supers that are almost ready and I am hoping to get these extracted over the next week or so, so that I am pretty sure all OSR honey is out of the supers and I can then let the bees get on with collecting honey from other sources.

Sunday brought high winds and rain showers so the only beekeeping that I managed was a quick combine of two weaker colonies. One had started to advance but the other seemed to be going backwards so it was time to remove that queen and combine!

Finally for those that were interested in the final photo in my last post!

I recently purchased a Solar wax extractor and have been busy, when we had enough sun, melting down old brood comb and all the bits of wax that I have collected during inspections over the last few years.

Solar wax extractor loaded up ready

Although it does need a good sunny position and good weather!

After a good sunny day all that is left

When I removed the big wax block one evening it was very sticky with residual honey that must have been left over in some of the comb.

Wax block left after melting down the old combs

As soon  as I had managed to get the block out of the collecting tin then a single honey bee arrived and buzzed around me before settling on the block of wax.

Honey bee eating the honey coating the wax block

I stood and watched for a minute and then started taking photos whilst it feasted on the sweet sticky coating. Only after it had had enough and flew off did I wash the wax block and store it with the others!

Advertisements

About yorkshirebees

A 2nd generation beekeeper that is enthusiastic about bees and beekeeping.
This entry was posted in 2013, Apiary 4, Bees, Equipment, Hives, Queen and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Two becomes One

  1. Interesting! Thanks for another great post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s